Photochemical processes with ecological relevance are well documented for marine and freshwater systems.
They can influence many aspects of carbon cycling in these systems and
• decrease the average molecular weight of the chromo-phoric organic substances;
• change the optical properties of the water as a result of the changes in chromophoric organic substances;
• release a complex mixture of ROS, which can hurt organisms and initiate indirect phototransformation reactions;
• produce oxidized C compounds such as CO, CO2, or short-chain fatty acids, which provide energy and carbon to heterotrophic processes;
• release P- and N-rich products: phosphate ions, amino acids, dissolved primary amines, and finally ammonia, NH4.
Figure 5 Wavelength dependence 1O2 production rates for chromophoric dissolved organic carbon compounds in a whole water column, exemplified for a midday, summer, sunlight at latitude 40° N. ■, Hietajarvi fall natural organic matter; • , Suwannee River natural organic matter; n, Suwannee River humic acid; □, Birkenes spring natural organic matter; •, Birkenes fall natural organic matter; $, Svartberget spring natural organic matter; O, peat humic acid; ■, soil fulvic acid. Reproduced from Paul A, Hackbarth S, Vogt RD, etal. (2004) Photogeneration of singlet oxygen by humic substances: Comparison of humic substances of aquatic and terrestrial origin. Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences 3: 273-280 -Reproduced by permission of The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) on behalf of the European Society for Photobiology.
Was this article helpful?
This book will surely change your life due to the fact that after reading this book and following through with the steps that are laid out for you in a clear and concise form you will be earning as much as several thousand extra dollars a month, as you can see by the cover of the book we will be discussing how you can make cash for what is considered trash by many people, these are items that have value to many people that can be sold and help people who need these items most.