Remedy

Special disposal procedures need to be followed.

certain chemicals, living organisms

Do not dispose of these materials in the sink or trash can.

Dispose of wastes as directed by your teacher.

Organisms or other biological materials that might be harmful to humans

bacteria, fungi, blood, unpreserved tissues, plant materials

Avoid skin contact with these materials.Wear mask or gloves.

Notify your teacher if you suspect contact with material. Wash hands thoroughly.

Objects that can burn skin by being too cold or too hot

boiling liquids, hot plates, dry ice, liquid nitrogen

Use proper protection when handling.

Go to your teacher for first aid.

Use of tools or glassware that can easily puncture or slice skin

razor blades, pins, scalpels, pointed tools, dissecting probes, broken glass

Practice common-sense behavior and follow guidelines for use of the tool.

Go to your teacher for first aid.

Possible danger to respiratory tract from fumes

ammonia, acetone, nail polish remover, heated sulfur, moth balls

Make sure there is good ventilation.Never smell fumes directly. Wear a mask.

Leave foul area and notify your teacher immediately.

Possible danger from electrical shock or burn

improper grounding, liquid spills, short circuits, exposed wires

Double-check setup with teacher. Check condition of wires and apparatus.

Do not attempt to fix electrical problems. Notify your teacher immediately.

Substances that can irritate the skin or mucous membranes of the respiratory tract

pollen, moth balls, steel wool, fiberglass, potassium permanganate

Wear dust mask and gloves. Practice extra care when handling these materials.

Go to your teacher for first aid.

Chemicals can react with and destroy tissue and other materials

bleaches such as hydrogen peroxide; acids such as sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid; bases such as ammonia, sodium hydroxide

Wear goggles, gloves, and an apron.

Immediately flush the affected area with water and notify your teacher.

Substance may be poisonous if touched, inhaled, or swallowed.

mercury, many metal compounds, iodine, poinsettia plant parts

Follow your teacher's instructions.

Always wash hands thoroughly after use. Go to your teacher for first aid.

Flammable chemicals may be ignited by open flame, spark, or exposed heat.

alcohol, kerosene, potassium permanganate

Avoid open flames and heat when using flammable chemicals.

Notify your teacher immediately. Use fire safety equipment if applicable.

Open flame in use, may cause fire.

hair, clothing, paper, synthetic materials

Tie back hair and loose clothing. Follow teacher's instruction on lighting and extinguishing flames.

Notify your teacher immediately. Use fire safety equipment if applicable.

Eye Safety

Proper eye protection should be worn at all times by anyone performing or observing science activities.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment