Using Vocabulary biome p. 68
climax community p.67 coral reef p. 81 desert p. 74 estuary p. 82 grassland p. 75 intertidal zone p. 82 pioneer species p. 64
succession p. 64 taiga p. 70 temperate deciduous forest p. 71 temperate rain forest p. 71 tropical rain forest p. 72 tundra p. 69 wetland p. 79
Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word or words.
1. _refers to the normal changes in the types of species that live in communities.
2. A(n)_is a group of organisms found in a stable stage of succession.
3. Deciduous trees are dominant in the
4. The average temperature in between 9°C and 12°C.
is are the most biologically diverse biomes in the world.
6. A(n)_is an area where freshwater meets the ocean.
Choose the word or phrase that best answers the question.
7. What are tundra and desert examples of?
A) ecosystems C) habitats
B) biomes D) communities
8. What is a hot, dry biome called?
A) desert C) coral reef
B) tundra D) grassland
9. Where would organisms that are adapted to live in slightly salty water be found?
A) lake C) open ocean
B) estuary D) intertidal zone
10. Which biome contains mostly frozen soil called permafrost?
B) temperate rain forest
D) temperate deciduous forest
11. A new island is formed from a volcanic eruption. Which species probably would be the first to grow and survive?
A) palm trees C) grasses
B) lichens D) ferns
12. What would the changes in communities that take place on a recently formed volcanic island best be described as?
A) primary succession
B) secondary succession
C) tertiary succession
13. What is the stable end stage of succession?
A) pioneer species
B) climax community
C) limiting factor
Use the illustration below to answer question 14.
Observed Fire Danger Class—June, 2003
14. Which area of the U.S. had the highest observed fire danger on June 20, 2003?
A) northeast C) northwest
B) southeast D) southwest
15. Explain In most cases, would a soil sample from a temperate deciduous forest be more or less nutrient-rich than a soil sample from a tropical rain forest?
16. Explain why some plant seeds need fire in order to germinate. How does this give these plants an advantage in secondary succession?
17. Determine A grassy meadow borders a beech-maple forest. Is one of these ecosystems undergoing succession? Why?
19. Make and Use a Table Copy and complete the following table about aquatic ecosystems. Include these terms: intertidal zone, lake, pond, coral reef, open ocean, river, estuary, and stream.
Do not write
in this book.
Was this article helpful?