Using Vocabulary abiotic p. 36 atmosphere p. 37 biotic p. 36 carbon cycle p. 49 chemosynthesis p. 51 climate p. 41 condensation p.45
energy pyramid p.53 evaporation p. 44 food web p. 52 nitrogen cycle p. 46 nitrogen fixation p. 46 soil p. 38 water cycle p. 45
Which vocabulary word best corresponds to each of the following events?
1. A liquid changes to a gas.
2. Some types of bacteria form nitrogen compounds in the soil.
3. Decaying plants add nitrogen to the soil.
4. Chemical energy is used to make energy-rich molecules.
5. Decaying plants add carbon to the soil.
6. A gas changes to a liquid.
7. Water flows downhill into a stream. The stream flows into a lake, and water evaporates from the lake.
8. Burning coal and exhaust from automobiles release carbon into the air.
Choose the word or phrase that best answers the question.
9. Which of the following is an abiotic factor?
A) penguins C) soil bacteria
B) rain D) redwood trees
Use the equation below to answer question 10.
10. Which of the following processes is shown in the equation above?
A) condensation C) burning
B) photosynthesis D) respiration
11. Which of the following applies to latitudes farther from the equator?
A) higher elevations
B) higher temperatures
C) higher precipitation levels
D) lower temperatures
12. Water vapor forming droplets that form clouds directly involves which process?
A) condensation C) evaporation
B) respiration D) transpiration
13. Which one of the following components of air is least necessary for life on Earth?
A) argon C) carbon dioxide
B) nitrogen D) oxygen
14. Which group makes up the largest level of an energy pyramid?
A) herbivores C) decomposers
B) producers D) carnivores
15. Earth receives a constant supply of which of the following items?
A) light energy C) nitrogen
B) carbon D) water
16. Which of these is an energy source for chemosynthesis?
A) sunlight C) sulfur molecules
B) moonlight D) carnivores
Use the illustration below to answer question 17.
Was this article helpful?