Magnetic flowmeters have the following advantages:
1. The magnetic flowmeter has no obstructions or moving parts. Flowmeter pressure loss is no greater than that of the same length of pipe. Pumping costs are thereby minimized.
2. Electric power requirements can be low, particularly with the pulsed dc types. Electric power requirements as low as 15 or 20 W are common.
3. The meters are suitable for most acids, bases, waters, and aqueous solutions because the lining materials are not only good electrical insulators but are also corrosion-resistant. Only a small amount of electrode metal is required, and stainless steel, Alloy 20, the Hastelloys, nickel, Monel, titanium, tantalum, tungsten carbide, and even platinum are all available.
4. The meters are widely used for slurry services not only because they are obstructionless but also because some of the liners, such as polyurethane, neoprene, and rubber, have good abrasion or erosion resistance.
5. The meters are capable of handling extremely low flows. Their minimum size is less than Ak in (3.175 mm) inside diameter. The meters are also suitable for high volume flow rates with sizes as large as 10 ft (3.04 m).
6. The meters can be used as bidirectional meters.
Was this article helpful?