Horizontalflow Clarifiers

In horizontal-flow clarifiers, sedimentation occurs in specially designed basins. These basins are known as settling tanks, settling basins, sedimentation tanks, sedimentation basins, or clarifiers. They can be rectangular, square, or circular. The most common basins are rectangular tanks and circular basins with a center feed.

In rectangular basins (see part A in Figure 7.17.1), the flow is in one direction and is parallel to the basin's length. This is called rectilinear flow. In center-feed circular basins (see part B in Figure 7.17.1), the water flows radially from the center to the outside edges. This is called radial flow. Both basins are designed to keep the velocity and flow distribution as uniform as possible so that currents and eddies do not form and keep the suspended material from

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment