1. Determine if waste is hazardous according to EPA listing criteria
2. Notify EPA and obtain I.D. number; determine that transporter and designated treatment, storage, or disposal facility have I.D. numbers
3. Identify and classify waste according to DOT Hazardous Materials Table and determine if waste is prohibited from certain modes of transport
4. Comply with all packaging, marking, and labeling requirements
5. Determine whether additional shipping requirements must be met for the mode of transport used.
6. Complete a hazardous waste manifest
7. Provide appropriate placards to transporter
8. Comply with record-keeping and reporting requirements
1. Notify EPA and obtain I.D. number
2. Verify that shipment is properly identified, packaged, marked, and labeled and is not leaking or damaged
4. Comply with all manifest requirements (e.g., sign the manifest, carry the manifest, and obtain signature from next transporter or owner/operator of designated facility)
5. Comply with record-keeping and reporting requirements
6. Take appropriate action (including cleanup) in the event of a discharge and comply with the DOT incident reporting requirements
Was this article helpful?