Permits should allow plants to incinerate the expected types and quantities of waste, at the necessary feed rates and within an acceptable range of operating conditions. Permit conditions must be flexible, with limits that are reasonably achievable. Based on trial burn results, operating permits may specify certain criteria such as:
• Maximum concentration of certain POHCs in waste feed
• Maximum waste feed rate or maximum total heat input rate
• Maximum air feed rate or maximum flue gas velocity
• Minimium combustion temperature
• Maximum carbon monoxide content of stack gas
• Maximum chloride and ash content of waste feed
Was this article helpful?