Continuously monitored parameters are interlocked with the automatic waste feed cutoff. Interruption of waste feed is automatic when specified limits are exceeded. The parameters are applicable to all facilities.
Parameters do not require continuous monitoring and are thus not interlocked with the waste feed cutoff systems. Operating records are required to ensure that trial burn worst-case conditions are not exceeded.
1. Minimum temperature measured at each combustion chamber exit
2. Maximum CO emissions measured at the stack or other appropriate location
3. Maximum flue gas flowrate or velocity measured at the stack or other appropriate location
4. Maximum pressure in PCC and SCC
5. Maximum feed rate of each waste type to each combustion chamberb
6. The following as applicable to the facility:
• Minimum differential pressure across particulate venturi scrubber
• Minimum liquid-to-gas ratio (L/G) and pH to wet scrubber
• Minimum caustic feed to dry scrubber
• Minimum kVA settings to ESP (wet/dry) and kV for ionized wet scrubber (IWS)
• Minimum pressure differential across baghouse
• Minimum liquid flowrate to IWS
7. POHC incinerability limits
8. Maximum total halides and ash feed rate to the incinerator system
9. Maximum size of batches or containerized wasteb
10. Minimum particulate scrubber blowdown or total solids content of the scrubber liquid
Limits on these parameters are set independently of trial burn test conditions. Instead, limits are based on equipment manufacturer's design and operating specifications and are thus considered good operating practices. Selected parameters do not require continuous monitoring and are not interlocked with the waste feed cutoff.
11. Minimum/maximum nozzle pressure to scrubber 11. Maximum total heat input capacity for each chamber
13. Liquid injection chamber burner settings:
• Maximum viscosity of pumped waste
• Maximum burner turndown
• Minimum atomization fluid pressure
• Minimum waste heating value (only applicable when a given waste provides 100% heat input to a given combustion chamber)
14. APCD inlet gas temperaturec aPCC denotes primary combustion chamber; SCC denotes secondary combustion chamber; APCD denotes air pollution control device; kVA denotes kilovolt-amperes; ESP denotes electrostatic precipitator. bItems 5 and 9 are closely related. cItem 14 can be a group B or C parameter.
Source: Reprinted, with permission, from Dempsey and Oppelt, 1993.
Was this article helpful?